- Grant applicants must be South Carolina classroom teachers (Pre-K through grade 5) who are current members of SCIRA. Use the same name on the application as on the membership card.
- Applications must be on the current SCIRA Literature Grant Application form, not to exceed the one page format. Deadline for submission is December 1.
- The applicant’s name must be on the Application but not in the Application’s Explanation of Need.
- The applicants have the option of proposing one of the following: a set of one title, several titles by one author, theme-based titles, or collections of literature from reputable reading lists, not to exceed $300.00 in value.
- Only one grant application can be submitted by an individual.
- The Literature Grant Committee will conduct a review of the submitted applications. Applications will be ranked based on the information included in the Instructional Plan and the Explanation of the Need. The Instructional Plan should include the title of the book or books chosen, strategies for using the book in the classroom, and an appropriate follow-up activity. The Explanation of Need should include information that describes any factors that affect achievement, such as student profiles, availability of materials, etc. Do not include the name of your school in the Explanation of Need.
- Points will be awarded for appropriate titles chosen for the grade identified in the grant Applicants are encouraged to read a variety of titles in order to make the best selection.
- Grants will be awarded in ranking order.
- Grant winners will receive notification of the status of their grant application in February and will receive a check in the amount of the grant from SCIRA. Grant winners are responsible for the ordering/purchasing of the books.
- All receipts MUST be sent to the committee chair by May 1 of the current year.
- A one-page evaluation must be completed and submitted to the current committee chair by May 1 at the close of the implementation year.
- Applications will be eliminated if:
- duplicate applications are
- the grant application was funded in previous
- the grant application was written as a
- the grant applicant names are written in the
- the grant application is not submitted on the SCIRA Literature Grant Application
Note: The application is to be sent electronically, and the deadline for submission is December 1.
Please contact the Chairperson of the Literature Grant Committee if there are any questions.
- I have read the book(s) I requested and consider them appropriate for my
- I understand the books will be stamped SCIRA and will be retained for classroom use in South Carolina.
- I agree to implement the described plan during the current school year
- I will purchase books and return receipts to the Literature Applications Committee Chair by May 1 of the current school year.
- I will complete a grant evaluation and submit it to the Literature Applications Committee by May 1 of the implementation year.
- I understand that I may purchase books appropriate to my Instructional Plan and that the cost is not to exceed $300.00.
- I will notify the Literature Grants Committee Chair of changes in my address, telephone number, teaching assignment, or of any circumstances that may disqualify me.
- I am aware that the Literature Grants Committee will conduct a review of the Instructional Plan, the Explanation of Need, and the books I select.
- If my original selections are not available, I am willing to substitute